Councillor and his son gunned down

The public is still in shock, especially in the area of O.R. Tambo and neighbouring areas after the ANC Ingquza Hill Local Municipality ward 15 councillor, Fundisile Ranayi, 49, and his son Siyolise Ranayi, 18, who was doing Grade 12 at Hillbrow Senior Secondary School were attacked by two gunmen and died on Friday, September 16 that evening.

This happened at their home in Joe Slovo Park, and Comrade Ranayi’s eight-year-old daughter was unharmed. According to reports, this father and son were sitting outside their house when they were ambushed by these unidentified men. The son died at the scene while the ward councillor died in hospital.

Ranayi was also the South African Communist Party (SACP) Chairman in the Che Guavara branch in Ingquza Hill. The SACP extended their heartfelt condolences to the family and close relatives of the victims.

“We also wish to extend our gratitude to his family for his life and contributions towards changing the lives of the people of our country. We also wish to make a call to the security cluster to work tirelessly with communities to ensure that the killers are apprehended as soon as possible,” said the SACP Provincial Spokesperson, Siyabonga Mdodi.

Comrade Ranayi was a political activist in his younger days as a student at Hillbrow Senior Secondary School. He then became a worker in the town of Lusikisiki where he joined the labour movement, South African Commercial, Catering and Allied Workers Union (SACCAWU). He later worked at the municipality and there he joined the South African Municipal Workers’ Union (SAMWU).

In 2016 he was elected councillor for ward 15 which includes the town of Lusikisiki. During the 2021 local government elections he was re-elected.

The Ingquza Hill Local Municipality also expressed their condolences to Ranayi’s family and relatives. The ruling party, ANC also issued a statement expressing their condolences.

Brigadier Tembinkosi Kinana said the cause of Ranayi’s killing is still unknown and is being investigated. No arrests have been made in connection with the father and son’s death.